Title 33: Human Services
Chapter 52: DELINQUENCY PROCEEDINGS
Sub-Chapter 02: Petition, Merits, And Disposition
33 V.S.A. § 5234. Rights of victims in delinquency proceedings involving a listed crime
§ 5234. Rights of victims in delinquency proceedings involving a listed crime
The victim in a delinquency proceeding involving a listed crime shall have the following rights:
(1) To be notified by the prosecutor's office in a timely manner when a predispositional or dispositional court proceeding is scheduled to take place and when a court proceeding of which he or she has been notified will not take place as scheduled.
(2) To be notified by the prosecutor's office as to whether delinquency has been found and disposition has occurred, including any conditions or restitution relevant to the victim.
(3) To present a victim's impact statement at the disposition hearing in accordance with subsection 5233(b) of this title and to be notified as to the disposition pursuant to subsection 5233(d) of this title.
(4) Upon request, to be notified by the agency having custody of the delinquent child before he or she is discharged from a secure or staff-secured residential facility. The name of the facility shall not be disclosed. An agency's inability to give notification shall not preclude the release. However, in such an event, the agency shall take reasonable steps to give notification of the release as soon thereafter as practicable. Notification efforts shall be deemed reasonable if the agency attempts to contact the victim at the address or telephone number provided to the agency in the request for notification.
(5) To obtain the name of the child in accordance with sections 5226 and 5233 of this title.
(6) To be notified by the Court of the victim's rights under this section. (Added 2007, No. 185 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. Jan. 1, 2009.)