Title 33: Human Services
Chapter 51: GENERAL PROVISIONS
33 V.S.A. § 5106. Powers and duties of commissioner
§ 5106. Powers and duties of commissioner
Subject to the limitations of the juvenile judicial proceedings chapters or those imposed by the court, and in addition to any other powers granted to the commissioner under the laws of this state, the commissioner has the following authority with respect to a child who is or may be the subject of a petition brought under the juvenile judicial proceedings chapters:
(1) To undertake assessments and make reports and recommendations to the court as authorized by the juvenile judicial proceedings chapters.
(2) To investigate complaints and allegations that a child is in need of care or supervision for the purpose of considering the commencement of proceedings under the juvenile judicial proceedings chapters.
(3) To supervise and assist a child who is placed under the commissioner's supervision or in the commissioner's legal custody by order of the court.
(4) To place a child who is in the commissioner's legal custody in a family home or a treatment, rehabilitative, detention, or educational facility or institution subject to the provisions of sections 5292 and 5293 of this title. To the extent that it is appropriate and possible siblings in the commissioner's custody shall be placed together.
(5) To make appropriate referrals to private or public agencies.
(6) To perform such other functions as are designated by the juvenile judicial proceedings chapters. (Added 2007, No. 185 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 2009.)