Title 26: Professions and Occupations
Chapter 45: LAND SURVEYORS
26 V.S.A. § 2544. Powers and duties of the board
§ 2544. Powers and duties of the board
(a) The board shall:
(1) adopt rules according to the provisions of 3 V.S.A. chapter 25, which are necessary for the performance of its duties;
(2) adopt an official seal;
(3) provide general information to applicants for admission to licensure as land surveyors;
(4) explain appeal procedures to licensees and applicants and complaint procedures to the public;
(5) adopt rules which establish the activities that must be completed by an applicant in order to fulfill the experience requirements established by this chapter. The rules shall require that the applicant's experience be under the supervision of a licensed land surveyor who has been licensed for three years or more, and shall not require that the applicant be in charge of the surveying. Such activities shall be designed to ensure that all applicants acquire experience in critical areas of land surveying, but shall not limit admission to licensure unless there is good reason to believe that licensure of a particular applicant would be inconsistent with safeguarding property and the public welfare;
(6) inform prospective applicants that they may notify the board if, after reasonable effort, they have been unable to obtain supervision by a licensee for activities prerequisite to licensure. When the board receives such a notice, it may interview the prospective applicant, and thereafter shall take whatever action it considers appropriate;
(7) if applications for licensure by examination are pending, offer examinations at least twice each year and pass upon the qualifications of applicants;
(8) use the administrative and legal services provided by the office of professional regulation under 3 V.S.A. chapter 5;
(9) adopt rules establishing minimum standards of practice. Standards adopted by the board shall not exceed the minimum required to protect the public and shall be responsive to a demonstrated need to impose such standards. Rules adopted under this section shall relate to land surveying in the following areas:
(A) Researching deeds and other records.
(C) Evaluation and verification of evidence pertaining to surveying.
(E) Survey reports and documents.
(b) The board may conduct disciplinary proceedings as provided for in 3 V.S.A. chapter 5.
(c)-(f) [Deleted.] (Added 1967, No. 364 (Adj. Sess.), § 7, eff. Jan. 1, 1969; 1973, No. 193 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. April 9, 1974; amended 1983, No. 230 (Adj. Sess.), § 17(5); 1985, No. 245 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 1989, No. 250 (Adj. Sess.), § 4(d); 1991, No. 167 (Adj. Sess.), § 38a; 2005, No. 148 (Adj. Sess.), § 22.)