Title 23: Motor Vehicles
Chapter 21: TITLE TO MOTOR VEHICLES
23 V.S.A. § 2018. Information on certificate
§ 2018. Information on certificate
(a) Each certificate of title issued by the commissioner shall contain:
(1) The date issued;
(2) The name and address of the owner;
(3) The names and addresses of any lienholders, in the order of priority as shown on the application or, if the application is based on a certificate of title, as shown on the certificate; however, no more than two lienholders may appear on a certificate. In the event that there are more than two lienholders on the vehicle, the certificate of title shall contain the legend "There are more than two lienholders on this vehicle. Contact the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles for details.";
(4) The title number assigned to the vehicle;
(5) A description of the vehicle including, so far as the following data exist, its make, model, identification number, odometer reading or hubometer reading or clock meter reading on all vehicles, type of body, number of cylinders, whether new or used, and, if a new vehicle, the date of the first sale of the vehicle for use; and
(6) Any other data the commissioner prescribes.
(b) Unless a bond is filed as provided in subdivision (2) of section 2020 of this title, a distinctive certificate of title shall be issued for a vehicle last previously registered in another state or country the laws of which do not require that lienholders be named on a certificate of title to perfect their security interests. The certificate shall contain the legend "This vehicle may be subject to an undisclosed lien" and may contain any other information the commissioner prescribes. If no notice of a security interest in the vehicle is received by the commissioner within four months from the issuance of the distinctive certificate of title, he or she shall, upon application and surrender of the distinctive certificate, issue a certificate of title in ordinary form.
(c) The certificate of title shall contain forms for assignment and warranty of title by the owner and for assignment and warranty of title by a dealer, and may contain forms for applications for a certificate of title by a transferee, the naming of a lienholder and the assignment or release of the security interest of a lienholder.
(d) A certificate of title issued by the commissioner is prima facie evidence of the facts appearing on it.
(e) A certificate of title for a vehicle is not subject to garnishment, attachment, execution or other judicial process, but this subsection does not prevent a lawful levy upon the vehicle.
(f) If a vehicle has been returned to the manufacturer after final determination, adjudication or settlement pursuant to the provisions of chapter 115 of Title 9 or after final determination, adjudication or settlement under similar laws of any other state, any certificate of title for the vehicle shall contain the following legend: "This vehicle was returned to the manufacturer pursuant to motor vehicle arbitration board, or similar proceedings, 9 V.S.A. § 4181." (Added 1969, No. 297 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1971; amended 1983, No. 60, § 5; 1983, No. 141 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. Jan. 1, 1985; 1999, No. 18, § 34, eff. May 13, 1999.)