Title 22: Libraries, History, and Information Technology
Chapter 4: LIBRARY PATRON RECORDS
22 V.S.A. § 172. Library record confidentiality; exemptions
§ 172. Library record confidentiality; exemptions
(a) A library's patron registration records and patron transaction records shall remain confidential.
(b) Unless authorized by other provisions of law, the library's officers, employees, and volunteers shall not disclose the records except:
(1) with the written permission of the library patron to whom the records pertain;
(2) to officers, employees, volunteers, and agents of the library to the extent necessary for library administration purposes;
(3) in response to an authorized judicial order or warrant directing disclosure;
(4) to custodial parents or guardians of patrons under age 16;
(5) to the custodial parents or guardians of a student, in accordance with the federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, by the library at the school the student attends.
(c) Statistical records pertaining to the patronage, circulation activities, and use of any service or consultation the library provides, provided that they do not contain the names of patrons or any other personally identifying information, shall be exempt from the provisions of this chapter. (Added 2007, No. 129 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)