Title 17: Elections
Chapter 49: NOMINATIONS
Sub-Chapter 03: Independent Candidates
17 V.S.A. § 2402. Requisites of statement
§ 2402. Requisites of statement
(a) A statement of nomination shall contain:
(1) The name of the office for which the nomination is made;
(2) The candidate's name and residence;
(3) If desired, a name, or other identification (in not more than three words) to be printed on the ballot following the candidate's name;
(4) In the case of nomination for president or vice president of the United States, the name and state of residence of each candidate for such office, together with the name, town of residence, and correct mailing address of each nominee for the office of elector. The statement of nomination shall include certification by the town clerk of each town where the signers appear to be voters that the persons whose names appear as signers of the statement are registered voters in the town and of the total number of valid signers from the town. Only the number of signers certified by each town clerk shall count toward the required number of signatures. The statement shall also be accompanied by a consent form from each nominee for elector. The consent form shall be similar to the consent form prescribed in section 2361 of this title.
(b)(1) To constitute a valid nomination, a statement shall contain signatures of voters qualified to vote in an election for the office in question, equal in number to at least:
(A) For presidential and vice presidential offices, 1,000;
(B) For state and congressional offices, 500;
(C) For county officers or state senators, 100;
(D) For representative to the general assembly, 50;
(E) For justice of the peace, 30 or one percent of the legal voters of the municipality, whichever is less.
(2) Signatures need not all be contained on one paper.
(c) A statement shall state that each signer is qualified to vote in an election for the office in question and that the voter's residence is as set forth next to the voter's name.
(d) A statement of nomination and a completed and signed consent form shall be filed as set forth in section 2356 of this title. No public official receiving nominations shall accept a petition unless a completed and signed consent form is filed at the same time.
(e) The secretary of state shall prescribe and furnish forms for a statement of nomination. (Added 1977, No. 269 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1979, No. 200 (Adj. Sess.), §§ 30-32; 1985, No. 196 (Adj. Sess.), § 9; 1995, No. 95 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; 2001, No. 83 (Adj. Sess.), § 4; 2007, No. 54, § 3; 2007, No. 121 (Adj. Sess.), § 7, eff. May 6, 2008; 2009, No. 73 (Adj. Sess.), § 7, eff. April 7, 2010; 2009, No. 98 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. May 10, 2010.)