Title 17: Elections
Chapter 43: QUALIFICATION AND REGISTRATION OF VOTERS
Sub-Chapter 02: Registration Of Voters
17 V.S.A. § 2154. Statewide voter checklist
§ 2154. Statewide voter checklist
(a) The secretary of state shall establish a uniform and nondiscriminatory, statewide computerized voter registration checklist. This checklist shall serve as the official voter registration list for all elections in the state. In establishing the statewide checklist, the secretary shall:
(1) limit the town clerk to adding, modifying, or deleting applicant and voter information on the portion of the checklist for that clerk's municipality;
(2) limit access to the statewide voter checklist for a local elections official to verifying if the applicant is registered in another municipality in the state by a search for the individual voter;
(3) notify a local elections official when a voter registered in that official's district registers in another voting district so that the voter may be removed from that district's checklist;
(4) provide adequate security to prevent unauthorized access to the checklist;
(5) ensure the compatibility and comparability of information on the checklist with information contained in the department of motor vehicles' computer systems.
(b) A registered voter's month and day of birth, driver's license number, the last four digits of the applicant's Social Security number, and street address if different from the applicant's mailing address shall not be considered a public record as defined in 1 V.S.A. § 317(b). Any person wishing to obtain a copy of all of the statewide voter checklist must swear or affirm, under penalty of perjury pursuant to 13 V.S.A. chapter 65, that the person will not use the checklist for commercial purposes. The affirmation shall be filed with the secretary of state.
(c) No elections official may access the portion of the statewide voter checklist that is exempt from public inspection pursuant to 1 V.S.A. § 317(c)(31), except for elections purposes. (Added 2003, No. 59, § 7.)