Title 12: Court Procedure
Chapter 217: EMANCIPATION OF MINORS
12 V.S.A. § 7153. Petition; contents
§ 7153. Petition; contents
(a) A minor may petition the probate division of the superior court in the probate district in which the minor resides at the time of the filing for an order of emancipation. The petition shall state:
(1) The minor's name and date of birth.
(2) The minor's address.
(3) The names and addresses, if known, of the minor's parents.
(4) The names and addresses of any guardians or custodians, including the commissioner for children and families, appointed for the minor, if appropriate.
(5) Specific facts in support of the emancipation criteria in subsection 7151(b) of this chapter.
(6) Specific facts as to the reasons why emancipation is sought.
(b) A minor may not file a petition under subsection (a) of this section unless the minor has lived in Vermont for three months or longer. (Added 1995, No. 145 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 2009, No. 154 (Adj. Sess.), § 92, eff. Feb. 1, 2011.)