Title 10: Conservation and Development
Chapter 53: BEVERAGE CONTAINERS; DEPOSIT-REDEMPTION SYSTEM
10 V.S.A. § 1521. Definitions
§ 1521. Definitions
For the purpose of this chapter:
(1) "Beverage" means beer or other malt beverages and mineral waters, mixed wine drink, soda water and carbonated soft drinks in liquid form and intended for human consumption. As of January 1, 1990 "beverage" also shall mean liquor.
(2) "Biodegradable material" means material which is capable of being broken down by bacteria into basic elements.
(3) "Container" means the individual, separate, bottle, can, jar or carton composed of glass, metal, paper, plastic or any combination of those materials containing a consumer product. This definition shall not include containers made of biodegradable material.
(4) "Distributor" means every person who engages in the sale of consumer products in containers to a dealer in this state including any manufacturer who engages in such sales. Any dealer or retailer who sells, at the retail level, beverages in containers without having purchased them from a person otherwise classified as a distributor, shall be a distributor.
(5) "Manufacturer" means every person bottling, canning, packing or otherwise filling containers for sale to distributors or dealers.
(6) "Recycling" means the process of sorting, cleansing, treating and reconstituting waste and other discarded materials for the purpose of reusing the materials in the same or altered form.
(7) "Redemption center" means a store or other location where any person may, during normal business hours, redeem the amount of the deposit for any empty beverage container labeled or certified pursuant to section 1524 of this title.
(8) "Secretary" means the secretary of the agency of natural resources.
(9) "Mixed wine drink" means a beverage containing wine and more than 15 percent added plain, carbonated or sparkling water; and which contains added natural or artificial blended material, such as fruit juices, flavors, flavoring, adjuncts, coloring or preservatives; which contains not more than 16 percent alcohol by volume; or other similar product marketed as a wine cooler.
(10) "Liquor" means spirits as defined in 7 V.S.A. § 2. (Added 1971, No. 252 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1975, No. 105, § 1; 1983, No. 171 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; 1987, No. 76, § 18; 1987, No. 261 (Adj. Sess.), §§ 1, 2, eff. July 1, 1989; 2005, No. 128 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)