Title 9: Commerce and Trade
Chapter 63: CONSUMER PROTECTION
Sub-Chapter 03: Fair Credit Reporting
9 V.S.A. § 2480a Definitions
§ 2480a. Definitions
For purposes of this subchapter:
(1) "Consumer" means a natural person residing in this State.
(2) "Credit report" means any written, oral, or other communication of any information by a credit reporting agency bearing on a consumer's credit worthiness, credit standing, credit capacity, character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living, including an investigative credit report. The term does not include:
(A) a report containing information solely as to transactions or experiences between the consumer and the person making the report; or
(B) an authorization or approval of a specific extension of credit directly or indirectly by the issuer of a credit card or similar device.
(3) "Credit reporting agency" or "agency" means any person which, for monetary fees, dues, or on a cooperative nonprofit basis, regularly engages in whole or in part in the practice of assembling or evaluating consumer credit information or other information on consumers for the purpose of reporting to third parties on the credit rating or creditworthiness of any consumer.
(4) "Identity theft" means the unauthorized use of another person's personal identifying information to obtain credit, goods, services, money, or property.
(5) "Investigative credit report" means a report in which information on a consumer's character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living is obtained through personal interviews with neighbors, friends, or associates of the consumer reported on or with others with whom the consumer is acquainted or who may have knowledge concerning any such items of information. The term does not include reports of specific factual information on a consumer's credit record obtained directly from a creditor of the consumer or from a credit reporting agency when such information was obtained directly from a creditor of the consumer or from the consumer.
(6) "Proper identification," as used in this subchapter, means that information generally deemed sufficient to identify a person.
(7) "Security freeze" means a notice placed in a credit report, at the request of the consumer, pursuant to section 2480h of this title. (Added 1991, No. 246 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 2003, No. 155 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. July 1, 2005; 2005, No. 211 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)