Title 6: Agriculture
Chapter 204: PREPARATION OF LIVESTOCK AND POULTRY PRODUCTS
6 V.S.A. § 3312. Inspection; exceptions
§ 3312. Inspection; exceptions
(a) Inspection shall not be provided under this chapter at any establishment for the slaughter of livestock or poultry or the preparation of any livestock products or poultry products which are not intended for use as human food, but these products shall, prior to their offer for sale or transportation in intrastate commerce, unless naturally inedible by humans, be denatured or otherwise identified as prescribed by rules of the secretary to deter their use for human food. These licensed establishments shall be subject to periodic review.
(b) Inspection shall not be required for the slaughter or preparation of poultry products of the producer's own raising on the producer's own farm, whether or not they are intended for use as human food if:
(1) Fewer than 1,000 birds are slaughtered annually; and
(2) No birds are offered for sale or transportation in interstate commerce; and
(3) The poultry products are only sold, as whole birds only, from the farm, at a farmers' market, or to a food restaurant licensed by the commissioner of health, or are for personal use.
(c) All poultry sold at a farmers' market or to a restaurant pursuant to the exemption in subsection (b) of this section shall be labeled with the following information:
(1) Name of farm and name of producer;
(2) Address of farm including zip code;
(3) "Exempt per 6 V.S.A. § 3312(b): NOT INSPECTED." This statement shall be prominently displayed with such conspicuousness (as compared with other words or statements, designs, or devices in the labeling) as to render it likely to be read and understood under customary conditions of purchase and use.
(4) Safe handling and cooking instructions as follows:
"SAFE HANDLING INSTRUCTIONS:
Keep refrigerated or frozen. Thaw in refrigerator or microwave.
Keep raw poultry separate from other foods.
Wash working surfaces, including cutting boards, utensils, and hands after touching raw poultry.
Cook thoroughly to an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit maintained for at least 15 seconds.
Keep hot foods hot. Refrigerate leftovers immediately or discard."
(d) Any menu item that includes poultry that is exempt under this section shall clearly state the name of the farm from which the poultry was purchased and shall prominently display the words "poultry processed on the farm and not inspected" on the menu in proximity to the menu item. Poultry sold to food restaurants under the exemption in this section shall include a label alerting the purchaser to these labeling requirements.
(e) The poultry producer, upon first selling poultry to a food restaurant, must procure a signed statement from the food restaurant stating that the food restaurant is aware that the poultry is exempted from inspection under subsection (b) of this section, and that the menu of the food restaurant must have the information required by subsection (d) of this section. The poultry producer must keep the signed statement on file as long as the producer is selling poultry to the food restaurant under this section. The poultry producer must have a signed statement on file from each food restaurant to which poultry is sold under this section and an exact copy of each statement, including the name of the producer and the name of the purchasing restaurant shall be forwarded to the department of health. (Added 1985, No. 226 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. June 2, 1986; amended 2003, No. 42, § 2, eff. May 27, 2003; 2007, No. 38, § 8, eff. May 21, 2007.)