The Vermont Legislature
2002 Legislative Redistricting

Deviation Calculator
Vermont House of Representatives

The major statistic used in comparing redistricting plans is the percent deviation (see below for explanation). This page allows you to quickly calculate the percent deviation for any district.

Please enter the population of the House district and its number of Representatives:

Population of District:
Number of Representatives:
Percent Deviation: 0.00%

The following tables show the percentage deviation for a 1-member House district of various sizes.

%Deviation by Population
Population % Deviation
3500 - 13.77%
3600 - 11.31%
3700 - 8.84%
3800 - 6.38%
3900 - 3.92%
4000 - 1.45%
4059* 0.00%
4100 1.01%
4200 3.47%
4300 5.94%
4400 8.40%
4500 10.86%
4600 13.33%
 
Population by %Deviation
% Deviation Population
- 12.00% 3572
- 10.00% 3653
- 8.00% 3734
- 6.00% 3815
- 4.00% 3897
- 2.00% 3978
0.00% 4059*
2.00% 4140
4.00% 4221
6.00% 4303
8.00% 4384
10.00% 4465
12.00% 4546

* Ideal population


Calculation of the Percent Deviation:

(1) An “ideal district” is determined by dividing the population of the state by the total number of representative districts. With 150 House districts in Vermont, following the 2000 census, the “ideal district” will have a population of exactly 4,059.

(2) The “deviation from the ideal” of each individual district is then calculated and expressed as a percentage. For example, a district with ten percent more population than the ideal district has a deviation of +10% and a district with nine percent less population than the ideal has a deviation of –9%.

(3) The “overall deviation” from the ideal for the entire plan is calculated by adding the percentage deviation from the ideal of the largest district in the state plan to the percentage deviation from the ideal of the smallest district in the state plan (disregarding positives or negatives). In the example above, if the largest district has a deviation of + 10% and the smallest has a deviation of – 9%, the “overall deviation” of the plan for the entire state in 19%. For reference, the redistricting plan enacted by legislature for the House in 1992 had an overall deviation of 17.6%