|SENATE PROPOSAL OF AMENDMENT||2007-2008|
An act relating to the regulation of sexual assault nurse examiners
The Senate proposes to the House to amend the bill by striking out all after the enacting clause and inserting in lieu thereof the following:
Sec. 1. DESIGNATION
33 V.S.A. chapter 3, §§ 301–311 are designated as:
Subchapter 1. General Provisions
Sec. 2. 33 V.S.A. chapter 3, subchapter 2 is added to read:
Subchapter 2. Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners
§ 321. DEFINITION
As used in this chapter, “SANE” means sexual assault nurse examiner.
§ 322. SANE BOARD
(a) The SANE board is created for the purpose of regulating sexual assault nurse examiners.
(b) The SANE board shall be composed of the following members:
(1) the executive director of the Vermont nurses association, or designee;
(2) the executive director of the Vermont hospital association, or designee;
(3) the director of the Vermont state police crime lab, or designee;
(4) the director of the Vermont network against domestic and sexual violence, or designee;
(5) an attorney with experience prosecuting sexual assault crimes, appointed by the attorney general;
(6) the executive director of the Vermont center for crime victim services, or designee;
(7) a law enforcement officer assigned to one of Vermont’s special units of investigation, appointed by the commissioner of public safety;
(8) a law enforcement officer employed by a municipal police department, appointed by the executive director of the Vermont criminal justice training council;
(9) three sexual assault nurse examiners, appointed by the attorney general;
(10) a physician whose practice includes the care of victims of sexual assault, appointed by the Vermont medical society;
(11) a pediatrician whose practice includes the care of victims of sexual assault, appointed by the Vermont chapter of the American Academy of Pediatricians;
(12) the coordinator of the Vermont victim assistance program, or designee;
(13) the president of the Vermont alliance of child advocacy centers, or designee; and
(14) the chair of the Vermont state board of nursing, or designee; and
(15) the commissioner for children and families, or designee.
§ 323. SANE PROGRAM CLINICAL COORDINATOR
A grant program shall be established by the Vermont center for crime victim services, subject to available funding, to fund a clinical coordinator position for the purpose of staffing the SANE program. The position shall be contracted through the Vermont network against domestic and sexual violence. The clinical coordinator shall consult with the SANE board in performing the following duties:
(1) oversee the recruitment and retention of SANEs in the state of Vermont;
(2) administer a statewide training program, including:
(A) the initial SANE certification training;
(B) ongoing training to ensure currency of practice for SANEs; and
(C) advanced training programs as needed;
(3) provide consultation and technical assistance to SANEs and hospitals regarding the standardized sexual assault protocol;
(4) provide training and outreach to criminal justice and
community-based agencies as needed.
§ 324. SANE BOARD; DUTIES
(a) A person licensed under chapter 28 of Title 26 may obtain a specialized certification as a sexual assault nurse examiner if he or she demonstrates compliance with the requirements for specialized certification as established by the SANE board by rule.
(b) The SANE board shall adopt the following by rule:
(1) educational requirements for obtaining specialized certification as a sexual assault nurse examiner and statewide standards for the provision of education;
(2) continuing education requirements and clinical experience necessary for maintenance of the SANE specialized certification;
(3) a standardized sexual assault protocol and kit to be used by all physicians or hospitals in this state when providing forensic examinations of victims of alleged sexual offenses;
(4) a system of monitoring for compliance; and
(5) processes for investigating complaints, revoking certification, and appealing decisions of the board.
(c) The SANE board may investigate complaints against a SANE and may revoke certification as appropriate.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street