|BILL AS PASSED HOUSE AND SENATE||2007-2008|
AN ACT RELATING TO A LEGISLATIVE INTERIM STUDY COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC LIBRARIES
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. LEGISLATIVE STAFF STUDY OF LIBRARIES IN OTHER
(a) The joint fiscal office (JFO) and the legislative council (LC) shall identify other states that are comparable to Vermont in terms of population or population density. Once identified, the JFO and LC, in consultation with the Vermont department of libraries and the Vermont library association, shall examine those states regarding:
(1) The number of public libraries per capita.
(2) The funding mechanisms for libraries.
(3) The governance structures of libraries.
(4) The services provided to libraries from the state library.
(b) After acquiring information regarding libraries in states of comparable population, the JFO and LC shall:
(1) Determine the number of public libraries operating in Vermont.
(2) Examine the demand for the services provided by public libraries, including circulation of materials, use of electronic resources, prevalence of literacy programs, and interlibrary loan transactions.
(3) Examine the current and potential involvement of public libraries in providing adult education.
(4) Explore the current and potential role of public libraries in connection with workforce training and development.
(5) Compare the level of state funding provided to public libraries in Vermont to state funding provided to public libraries in states of similar population.
(6) Identify the additional funding that will be required to meet the growing demand for services from public libraries in Vermont and maintain the quality of their operations.
(7) Identify those libraries in the state at which existing toilet facilities are not accessible and determine the total cost of making necessary accessibility improvements to them.
(8) Identify the number of incorporated libraries in the state that do not have the ability to install toilet facilities; explore the implications of providing them with exemptions to existing law to enable installation; and make recommendations to facilitate a solution.
(c) The JFO and LC shall submit a report detailing the results of their study to the general assembly by January 15, 2008.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street