|BILL AS INTRODUCED||2007-2008|
Introduced by Senator Hartwell of Bennington District and Senator Sears of Bennington District
Subject: Public property; Bennington state office building; relocation of employees
Statement of purpose: This bill proposes to direct the commissioner of buildings and general services to develop a plan to dispose of the Bennington state office building and buy, lease, or build a new office building or buildings in downtown Bennington.
AN ACT RELATING TO REPLACEMENT OF THE BENNINGTON STATE OFFICE BUILDING
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. FINDINGS AND CONCLUSIONS
(a) The general assembly finds that:
(1) The employees located in the Bennington state office building located at 200 Veterans Memorial Drive have experienced an unusually high degree of sarcoidosis.
(2) The department of health has found that those who have contracted the illness appear to have one thing in common, that they all work in the Bennington state office building.
(3) The department of health has been unable to determine the source of the illness other than that it appears to be related to time spent in the building.
(b) Therefore, the general assembly concludes that in order to protect the health and welfare of state office workers located in Bennington:
(1) No state employee should be required to enter the Bennington state office building; and
(2) The state of Vermont should sell or demolish the existing state office building and buy, rent, or build a new state office building to accommodate those employees who are currently working in the modular buildings at Veterans Memorial Drive.
Sec. 2. COMMISSIONER OF BUILDINGS AND GENERAL SERVICES;
PLAN FOR A NEW BENNINGTON STATE OFFICE BUILDING
(a) The commissioner of buildings and general services is hereby directed to immediately develop a plan for buying, renting, or building a new state office building or multiple office buildings within easy walking distance of each other in the designated downtown district of Bennington. The building or buildings shall be sufficient to accommodate all Vermont state employees currently working in the modular buildings at Veterans Memorial Drive. The plan shall include a process for disposal of the existing Bennington state office building.
(b) In developing the plan, the commissioner shall follow the recommendations of the Bennington state office location task force created in Sec. 4 of Act No. 53 of the 2007 legislative session.
(c) The commissioner shall present the plan, together with cost estimates, to the Senate and House committees on institutions no later than September 15, 2008.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street