|BILL AS INTRODUCED||2007-2008|
Introduced by Senator Coppenrath of Caledonia District, Senator Starr of Essex-Orleans District, Senator Condos of Chittenden District, Senator Doyle of Washington District, Senator Kittell of Franklin District, Senator McCormack of Windsor District, Senator Mullin of Rutland District and Senator Racine of Chittenden District
Subject: Education; statewide secondary student assessment program
Statement of purpose: This bill proposes to direct the state board of education to develop and, by the 2009–2010 school year, to implement a statewide secondary student assessment program. The bill also requires the board of education to provide data comparing the new program with current and contemplated assessment instruments.
AN ACT RELATING TO A STATEWIDE SECONDARY STUDENT ASSESSMENT PROGRAM
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. SECONDARY ASSESSMENTS; REPORT
On or before December 1, 2007, the state board of education shall file a detailed written report with the house and senate committees on education outlining the secondary assessments currently in place in Vermont public schools and those assessments contemplated to be implemented before or during the 2009–2010 school year. The report will include:
(1) The grade level at which each assessment is performed.
(2) The subject or subjects assessed by each instrument.
(3) The origin of the assessment instrument.
(4) The costs, broken down by subject, grade level, and instrument, of the current and contemplated secondary assessment programs.
(5) The identity of other assessment instruments considered and rejected, including a detailed explanation of the reasons for rejection and an analysis of whether a combination of commercially available assessments would assess the same group of subjects and skills assessed by the combination of current or contemplated assessment instruments.
Sec. 2. 16 V.S.A. § 181 is added to read:
§ 181. STATEWIDE SECONDARY STUDENT ASSESSMENT PROGRAM
(a) The state board of education shall develop a plan for a statewide secondary student assessment program to ensure accountability for student achievement and schools. The assessment program shall:
(1) Use only commercially available norm-referenced tests, with enhancements if needed.
(2) Meet the requirements of the No Child Left Behind Act (“NCLB”) as reauthorized and as amended from time to time.
(3) Reduce from current levels the total teacher- and student-time devoted to assessments.
(4) Reduce from current levels the total financial cost of providing secondary assessments.
(5) Provide valid and reliable scores for individual students and for groups of students, both aggregated and disaggregated as required by NCLB.
(6) Ensure that the combined assessments in grades 8, 10, and 11 will measure individual student growth over that time.
(7) Provide state policy makers and the citizens of Vermont with data comparing Vermont students to students in other states.
(8) Ensure that students and schools receive the assessment results within 60 days of the last day that an individual assessment instrument is administered.
(b) The statewide secondary student assessment program implemented by the state board of education shall:
(1) Measure individual student achievement of the standards in the core content areas as required by NCLB.
(2) Include an on-demand assessment of student writing.
(3) Include a high school readiness component to assess English, reading, mathematics, and science in grade 8.
(4) Include a college readiness component to assess English, reading, mathematics, and science in grade 10.
(5) Include a college admission and placement component to assess English, reading, mathematics, and science in grade 11, using one or more assessment instruments generally accepted by postsecondary institutions.
(c) All costs associated with the purchase of assessment instruments, processing services related to scoring assessments, and training assessment administrators and others, except those costs directly related to the school level administration of the assessments, shall be borne by the department of education.
(d) The statewide secondary student assessment program shall be implemented in lieu of any customized or commercially available testing that is currently in place, in development, or being used on a trial basis.
(e) Independent schools shall administer all assessments required by the program established by this act to all students in attendance whose tuition is paid by a Vermont public school district. Any independent school not receiving tuition from a Vermont public school district may, at its discretion, administer the assessments to any enrolled student who is a Vermont resident.
Sec. 3. STATEWIDE SECONDARY STUDENT ASSESSMENT
PROGRAM; FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
On or before December 1, 2007, the state board of education shall provide to the house and senate committees on education a detailed written cost analysis comparing the statewide secondary student assessment program required in Sec. 2 of this act with the assessment program or programs that are currently in place or were contemplated to be implemented before or during the 2009–2010 school year.
Sec. 4. IMPLEMENTATION
(a) The plan for a statewide secondary student assessment program required by Sec. 2 of this act shall be delivered in writing to the house and senate committees on education on or before December 1, 2007.
(b) The statewide secondary student assessment program required by Sec. 2 of this act shall be fully implemented by the 2009–2010 school year.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street