|BILL AS INTRODUCED||2007-2008|
Introduced by Representative Pellett of Chester
Subject: Human services; professions and occupations; nursing; sexual assault
Statement of purpose: This bill proposes to: (1) require the Vermont state board of nursing to regulate, and provide a specialized certification to, sexual assault nurse examiners; and (2) create a sexual assault nurse examiner advisory board to advise the Vermont state board of nursing.
AN ACT RELATING TO THE REGULATION OF SEXUAL ASSAULT NURSE EXAMINERS
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. DESIGNATION
33 V.S.A. chapter 3, §§ 301–311 are designated as:
Subchapter 1. General Provisions
Sec. 2. 33 V.S.A. chapter 3, subchapter 2 is added to read:
Subchapter 2. Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners
§ 321. DEFINITION
As used in this chapter, “SANE” means sexual assault nurse examiner.
§ 322. SEXUAL ASSAULT NURSE EXAMINER ADVISORY BOARD
(a) The sexual assault nurse examiner advisory board is created for the purpose of advising the Vermont state board of nursing on its regulation of sexual assault nurse examiners.
(b) The sexual assault nurse examiner advisory board shall be composed of the following members:
(1) the executive director of the Vermont nurses association, or designee;
(2) the executive director of the Vermont hospital association, or designee;
(3) the director of the Vermont state police crime lab, or designee;
(4) the director of the Vermont network against domestic and sexual violence, or designee;
(5) the attorney general, or designee;
(6) the executive director of the Vermont center for crime victim services, or designee;
(7) a law enforcement officer assigned to one of Vermont’s special units of investigation, appointed by the commissioner of public safety;
(8) the commissioner for children and families, or designee;
(9) the SANE program clinical coordinator;
(10) a sexual assault nurse examiner appointed by the SANE program clinical coordinator;
(11) a physician appointed by the Vermont medical society;
(12) a pediatrician appointed by the Vermont chapter of the American Academy of Pediatricians;
(13) the coordinator of the Vermont victim assistance program, or designee; and
(14) the president of the Vermont alliance of child advocacy centers, or designee.
(c) The board shall be attached to the department for children and families for administrative purposes.
§ 323. SANE PROGRAM CLINICAL COORDINATOR
A SANE program clinical coordinator shall:
(1) oversee the recruitment and retention of SANEs in the state of Vermont;
(2) administer a statewide training program, including:
(A) the initial SANE certification training;
(B) ongoing training to ensure currency of practice for SANEs; and
(C) advanced training programs as needed;
(3) provide consultation and technical assistance to SANEs and hospitals regarding the standardized rape protocol;
(4) provide training and outreach to criminal justice and
community-based agencies as needed.
§ 324. VERMONT STATE BOARD OF NURSING; DUTIES
(a) A person licensed under chapter 28 of Title 26 may obtain a specialized certification as a sexual assault nurse examiner if he or she demonstrates compliance with the requirements for specialized certification as established by the board by rule.
(b) An applicant for specialized certification as a SANE or for renewal of certification shall pay the fee set forth in subsection 125(b) of Title 3.
(c) The Vermont state board of nursing, in consultation with the SANE advisory board, shall adopt the following by rule:
(1) educational requirements for obtaining specialized certification as a sexual assault nurse examiner and statewide standards for the provision of education;
(2) continuing education requirements and clinical experience necessary for maintenance of the SANE specialized certification;
(3) a standardized rape protocol and kit to be used by all physicians or hospitals in this state when providing forensic examinations of victims of alleged sexual offenses; and
(4) a system of monitoring for compliance.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street