Download this document in MS Word format
BILL AS INTRODUCED 2007-2008

AutoFill Template

H.493

Introduced by Representatives Fisher of Lincoln and Pugh of S. Burlington

Referred to Committee on

Date:

Subject:  Health; state employees’ health plan; community service providers

Statement of purpose:  This bill proposes to allow specified community service providers to buy into the state employees’ health plan.

AN ACT RELATING TO ALLOWING COMMUNITY SERVICE PROVIDERS TO BUY INTO THE STATE EMPLOYEES’ HEALTH PLAN

It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:

Sec. 1.  FINDINGS

The general assembly finds that because community service providers, as that term is defined in this act, act on behalf of the public good and, in essence, do much of the work to promote the general welfare that would otherwise fall to the state executive branch, those community service providers should benefit from participation in, and some subsidy for, the state employees’ health benefit plan.


Sec. 2.  3 V.S.A. § 635b is added to read:

§ 635b.  COVERAGE; COMMUNITY SERVICE PROVIDERS

(a)  As used in this section, “community service provider” means a nonprofit employer who is a community partner to the department of health, a designated mental health agency, a community action program, an area agency on aging, a parent-child center, or a youth service bureau. 

(b)  Notwithstanding subdivision 631(a)(2)(A) of this title, a community service provider shall be eligible to participate in the group health insurance program provided in this chapter or in any group dental insurance program negotiated in a collective bargaining agreement with state employees.  The community service provider shall pay no more than 60 percent of the premiums, allocated between the employer and employees according to the employer benefit plan, and the state shall contribute the remaining 40 percent of the premium.  The community service provider shall remit 60 percent of the premium on a schedule established by the plan administrator. 

(b)  A community service provider that elects to participate in the group health insurance program or in the group dental insurance program under this section shall notify the program’s administrator, in writing, of such election.  The enrollment period for persons electing under this section shall correspond with the enrollment period for state employees.      



Published by:

The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street
Montpelier, Vermont


www.leg.state.vt.us