|BILL AS INTRODUCED||2007-2008|
Introduced by Representative McCullough of Williston
Subject: Safety; electrical installations; residences; licensed electrician required
Statement of purpose: This bill proposes to reduce the incidents of death and injury that result from inappropriate design and installation of electrical systems in single‑family residences by requiring that any electrical installation in any residence, including single‑family owner-occupied residences, be performed by a licensed electrician.
AN ACT RELATING TO RESIDENTIAL ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. RULEMAKING; PUBLIC SAFETY
The commissioner of public safety shall adopt rules regarding electrical work performed during the construction or renovation of single‑family dwellings. The rules shall require that:
(1) All electrical work performed in any residence, including single‑family owner-occupied residences, be performed by or under the control and supervision of a licensed electrician except the following:
(A) Repair or replacement of parts or fixtures (not including runs of wire) with parts or fixtures of equal or smaller ampere rating or capacity in an owner-occupied freestanding single‑family residence, provided the repair or replacement is made pursuant to the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
(B) Installation, repair, or replacement of all low voltage wire, parts, and fixtures for transmission of electricity and telecommunications.
(2) The owner or contractor of any renovation or new construction of a single‑family residence shall file a notice of construction or renovation with the department that includes any information required by the commissioner, including at least a description of the work to be performed, the expected duration of the construction, the name of the owner, and the location of the residence.
Sec. 2. 26 V.S.A. § 910 is amended to read:
§ 910. LICENSE NOT REQUIRED
(a) A license shall not be required for the following types of work:
(1) Any electrical work, including construction, installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of electrical installations in, on or about equipment or premises, which are owned or leased by the operator of any industrial or manufacturing plant, if the work is done under the supervision of an electrical engineer or master electrician in the employ of the operator;
(2) Installation in laboratories of exposed electrical wiring for experimental purposes only;
(3) Any electrical work by an owner or his or her regular employees in the owner’s freestanding single unit residence, in outbuildings accessory to such freestanding single unit residence or any structure on owner-occupied farms;
(4) Electrical installations performed as a part of a training project of a vocational school or other educational institution. However, the installation shall be inspected if the building in which the installation is made, is to be used as a ‘complex structure’;
work performed by an electrician’s helper under the direct supervision of a
person who holds an appropriate license issued under this chapter
; (6) Any electrical work in a
building used for dwelling or residential purposes which contains no more than
two dwelling units.
(b) The owner or contractor of any renovation or new construction of a single‑family residence shall file a notice of construction or renovation with the department that includes any information required by the commissioner, including at least a description of the work to be performed, the expected duration of the construction, the name of the owner, and the location of the residence.
Sec. 3 EFFECTIVE DATE
This act shall take effect on passage.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street