|BILL AS INTRODUCED||2007-2008|
Introduced by Representatives Adams of Hartland, LaVoie of Swanton, McCullough of Williston and Randall of Troy
Subject: Fish and wildlife; licenses; apprentice hunting licenses
Statement of purpose: This bill proposes to create an apprentice hunting license. The license will allow an individual of any age to hunt for two seasons without taking a hunter education course or having a hunting license. This bill would allow apprentice license holders to hunt under the direct control and supervision of any fully licensed individual over the age of 21.
AN ACT RELATING TO THE CREATION OF AN APPRENTICE HUNTING LICENSE
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. 10 V.S.A. § 4256 is added to read:
§ 4256. APPRENTICE HUNTING LICENSES
(a) A resident or nonresident apprentice hunting license may be issued to any person who has not taken a hunter safety course as required under subdivisions 4254(b)(1) and (2) of this title, provided that:
(1) An apprentice hunting license shall only be issued twice to any one individual, and each license shall last for only one season.
(2) An apprentice hunting license shall not be issued to any individual who has held a valid hunting license under subsection 4254(b) of this title or an equivalent license in any other state.
(3) The apprentice hunting license shall be issued to a person 16 years of age or younger only with the written consent of the applicant’s parent or legal guardian given in the presence of the agent issuing the license.
(b) Having held a valid apprentice license does not exempt an individual from meeting all the requirements for a hunting license under subsection 4254(b) of this.
Sec. 2. 10 V.S.A. § 4252 is amended to read:
§ 4252. ACTIVITIES PERMITTED UNDER LICENSES
Subject to provisions of this part and regulations of the board:
(1) A fishing license shall entitle the holder to take fish.
(2) A hunting license shall entitle the holder to take wild animals, except those that require a separate big game license, and to shoot pickerel.
* * *
(13) An apprentice hunting license shall entitle the holder to the same privileges as a hunting license under subdivision (2) of this section except that:
(A) For the purposes of this section, “accompany” or “accompanied” means direct control and supervision. While hunting, an individual who holds a valid hunting license under subsection 4254 (b) of this title shall accompany only one apprentice hunter at a time.
(B) An individual who holds an apprentice hunting license shall be entitled to hunt only when accompanied by an individual, 21 years of age or older, who holds a valid hunting license under subsection 4254 (b) of this title.
(C) An individual who holds an apprentice hunting license is not eligible to hunt moose pursuant to subdivision (11) of this section.
(D) An individual who holds an apprentice hunting license shall be subject to the bag limit of the fully licensed accompanying hunter.
Sec. 3. 10 V.S.A. § 4255 is amended to read:
§ 4255. LICENSE FEES
(a) Vermont residents may apply for licenses on forms provided by the commissioner. Fees for each license shall be:
* * *
(12) Apprentice hunting license $ 5.00
(b) Nonresidents may apply for licenses on forms provided by the commissioner. Fees for each license shall be:
* * *
(16) Apprentice hunting license $ 5.00
* * *
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street