Download this document in MS Word format

AutoFill Template


Introduced by Representative Klein of East Montpelier (by request)

Referred to Committee on


Subject:  Fish and wildlife; game; black bear doing damage

Statement of purpose:  This bill proposes to amend the black bear doing damage statute to allow a property owner to hire an agent to take a black bear doing damage.  The bill would also allow the property owner to sell or give away the carcass of a black bear.


It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:

Sec. 1.  10 V.S.A. § 4827 is amended to read:


(a)  A person, an authorized member of the person's family, or the person's authorized regular on-premise employee agent may take, on land owned or occupied by the person, a bear which he or she can prove was doing damage to the following:

(1)  livestock, a pet, or another domestic animal;

(2)  bees or bee hives;

(3)  a vehicle, building, shed, or any dwelling; or

(4)  a crop or crop-bearing plant other than grass.

(b)  A person authorized to take a bear under subsection (a) of this section may designate one individual who holds a resident Vermont hunting license as an agent to take a bear doing damage on his or her behalf.  The person may not offer or accept any form of payment to or from the agent under this subsection except as allowed in subsection (e) of this section.  [Repealed.]

(c)  A person who wounds or kills a bear pursuant to this section shall immediately report the wounding or killing to a game warden.  Within 12 hours of the wounding or killing, the person who performed the act shall submit a written, signed report relating the date, time, place, and reason for the wounding or killing to a game warden.

(d)  A person who kills a bear under this section shall immediately properly dress the carcass and care for the meat.

(e)  The game warden shall immediately investigate the case and if satisfied that the bear was taken as provided in this section, the warden shall give the person who owns or occupies the land a certificate of his or her finding in the matter.  The certificate shall entitle the person who owns or occupies the land to the ownership of the carcass.  However, the person may not sell or give away the carcass except to offer all or a portion of it to an agent designated under subsection (b) of this section as compensation for killing the bear.  Any carcass not desired for home consumption in the household of the certificate holder or designated agent shall be turned over to a game warden.

* * *

Published by:

The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street
Montpelier, Vermont