|BILL AS INTRODUCED||2007-2008|
Introduced by Representative Rodgers of Glover
Subject: Motor vehicles; motorcycles; helmets
Statement of purpose: This bill proposes to amend the motorcycle helmet law by:
(1) Requiring all persons riding on a motorcycle who are under age 21 to wear a helmet.
(2) Requiring all persons riding on a motorcycle to wear a helmet when the operator has had a motorcycle endorsement for less than one year.
(3) Providing that persons not referenced above have the option of wearing a helmet.
AN ACT RELATING TO MOTORCYCLE HELMETS
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. 23 V.S.A. § 1256 is amended to read:
HEADGEAR Motorcycles; Headgear
Use of motorcycle helmets shall be as follows:
person under the age of 21 may operate or ride upon a motorcycle upon a
highway unless he
wears upon his head or she is properly wearing
protective headgear reflectorized in part and of a type approved by the
commissioner. The headgear shall be equipped with either a neck or chin strap.
(2) No person may operate or ride upon a motorcycle without the protective headgear referred to in subdivision (1) of this section if the operator has held a motorcycle endorsement for less than one year.
(3) All other persons operating or riding upon a motorcycle shall have the option of wearing protective headgear.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street