|BILL AS PASSED BY HOUSE||2007-2008|
AN ACT RELATING TO BALANCING THE TRANSPORTATION BUDGET AND REPAIRING DETERIORATING ROADS
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. AUTHORIZATION
(a) The general assembly hereby authorizes a special program consisting of $3,000,000.00 of transportation funds and, to the extent the transportation funds can be used to match available federal funds, such associated federal funds, within the agency of transportation to improve the condition of selected state, class 1, and town highways whose deteriorating condition has been exacerbated by the severe winter weather of 2007-08.
(b) Of the total authorized amount of transportation funds, $1,000,000.00 shall be reserved for state highways and class 1 town highways and $2,000,000.00 shall be reserved for class 2 town highways. Funds reserved for class 2 town highways shall be administered through the town highway class 2 roadway program.
(c) The agency through its maintenance districts shall identify state highways and class 1 town highways, and in cooperation with town officials, class 2 town highways, to which simple, cost-effective repairs designed to last more than one year can be made to repair road damages.
Sec. 2. SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION; TRANSFER OF
(a) To implement the program authorized by this act:
(1) Notwithstanding 32 V.S.A. § 706, the secretary of transportation may transfer balances of fiscal year 2008 appropriations not to exceed $388,162.00 within or between the department of motor vehicles and divisions or sections of the agency of transportation; and
(2) Notwithstanding 19 V.S.A. § 10g(h), the secretary of transportation is authorized to add additional class 1 town highway paving projects to the extent that funds are available from savings in approved capital projects in the transportation program.
(b) The authority granted in subsection (a) of this section is limited to accomplishing the objectives of the program authorized by this act and shall expire upon the completion of the program.
Sec. 3. FISCAL YEAR 2008 APPROPRIATION ADJUSTMENTS
(a) Fiscal year 2008 transportation appropriations shall be reduced by the following amounts of transportation funds:
(1) town highway emergency fund $690,000.00
(2) policy and planning $300,000.00
(3) town highway bridges $330,969.00
(4) department of motor vehicles $100,000.00
(5) rail $1,096,451.00
(b) Fiscal year 2008 transportation appropriations shall be reduced by the following amount in federal funds:
town highway bridges $1,323,878.00
(c) Fiscal year 2008 transportation appropriations shall be increased by the following amounts of transportation funds:
(1) program development $27,838.00
(2) town highway class 2 roadway program $2,000,000.00
Sec. 4. RUTLAND-MIDDLEBURY RAIL TRACK IMPROVEMENTS
Notwithstanding the authority granted in this act and in 19 V.S.A. § 10g(h), the funds authorized in the fiscal year 2009 transportation program for the Rutland-Middlebury track improvements project MP87-96 is exclusively reserved for the project.
Sec. 5. REVERSIONS
Notwithstanding any other provisions of law, in fiscal year 2008, the following amount shall revert to the transportation fund from the account indicated:
8100001900 Transportation - town highway Vermont local roads $ 37,838.00
Sec. 6. FUND TRANSFERS
Notwithstanding any other provisions of law:
(1) in fiscal year 2008, $1,000,000.00 shall be transferred from the central garage fund to the transportation fund.
(2) in fiscal year 2009, $500,000.00 shall be transferred from the transportation fund to the central garage fund.
Sec. 7. FISCAL YEAR 2009
APPROPRIATION ADJUSTMENTS AND
(a) The transportation – program development operating expenses appropriation shall be reduced by $500,000.00 in transportation fund.
(b) In addition to the transfer pursuant to 19 V.S.A. § 13(c) but notwithstanding any other provisions of law, in fiscal year 2009, $500,000.00 shall be transferred to the central garage fund from the transportation fund.
Sec. 8. BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN FACILITIES
(a) Fiscal year 2008 authorized spending on the Swanton STP ST MHTB(1) project is reduced from $1,500,000.00 to $0.00. The fiscal year 2008 transportation appropriation to program development is reduced by $283,800.00 in transportation funds and $1,216,200.00 in federal funds.
(b) Fiscal year 2009 authorized spending on the Swanton STP ST MHTB(1) project is reduced from $600,000.00 to $0.00. The fiscal year 2009 transportation appropriation to program development is reduced by $120,000.00 in transportation funds and $480,000.00 in federal funds.
(c) The Swanton STP ST MHTB(1) project is removed from the state transportation program.
Sec. 9. REALLOCATION OF FUNDS
The following capital appropriations, totaling $1,412,742.00, are reallocated to the transportation fund:
(1) $528,190.00 of the amount appropriated in Sec. 1(14) of No. 52 of the Acts of 2007 (Bennington courthouse and state office building).
(2) $280,514.00 of the amount appropriated in Sec. 1(7) of No. 149 of the Acts of the 2001 Adj. Sess. (2002) (planning and design for addition to the state house).
(3) $434,540.00 of the amount appropriated in Sec. 11(a) of No. 52 of the Acts of 2007 (water pollution control).
(4) $19,787.00 of the amount appropriated in Sec. 15(b)(2) of No. 148 of the Acts of the 1999 Adj. Sess. (2000) (Bennington sewer line).
(5) $100,000.00 of the amount appropriated in Sec. 8(A)(3) of No. 149 of the Acts of 2001 Adj. Sess. (2002) (state-owned dams).
(6) $ 49,711.00 of the amount appropriated in Sec. 5(e) of No. 147 of the Acts of the 2005 Adj. Sess. (2006) (Orange County courthouse).
Sec. 10. 19 V.S.A. § 10c(k) is added to read:
(k) To the extent that federal regulations permit, signage for all state and town bridge projects spanning more than 20 feet in length shall be erected on both sides of the project for the duration of the project as follows:
(1) The agency of transportation shall design the signs, and the contractor shall purchase and install the signs as part of the contract bid price.
(2) The signs shall indicate the cost of the project.
(3) Signs for state bridge projects shall include the following: “This is an agency of transportation project paid for with your tax dollars.”
(4) Signs for town bridge projects shall include the following: “This is a project sponsored by (name of municipality) and the agency of transportation, and paid for with your tax dollars.”
Sec. 11. EFFECTIVE DATE
This act shall take effect from passage.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street