ACT NO. 66
Education; miscellaneous changes
This act makes miscellaneous, mostly technical changes to education law. The more substantive changes include:
* Clarifies an apparent conflict between 16 V.S.A. §§ 823(a) and 824(b) and 16 V.S.A. § 825(b) by allowing a receiving school to vary from certain tuition requirements, provided that the same terms are offered to all sending districts.
* Provides transportation assistance for districts that transport their technical education students, regardless of whether the course is offered at a technical center or a satellite location in the region.
* Clarifies the types of technical assistance for which a high spending district may contract if it uses a portion of its excess spending penalty for that purpose.
* Eliminates the excess spending penalty for extremely small towns that exceed the limit solely because of new special education costs.
* Deletes the sunset and codifies into statute an existing provision that provides assistance to districts with unusual special education costs.
* Shortens the timeline for calculating average daily membership so that the equalized pupil count may be established earlier.
* Extends and clarifies 2006 session law regarding pregnant and parenting teens attending a teen education center.
* Clarifies that when the base value of TIF property is increased for education property taxes, the increase applies only to the TIF district and not to the entire town.
* Removes from the calculation of excess spending the deficit created in a district that tuitions its students when the deficit resulted solely because one or more students moved into the district after the budget was determined.
Effective Date: Various
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street