ACT NO. 62
Education; prekindergarten; weighted membership;
average daily membership (ADM)
This act addresses prekindergarten education offered by or through a public school by, among other things:
1. Amending the current statutory definitions of early childhood education, and prekindergarten education, and prekindergarten child.
2. Requiring that the commissioners of education and for children and families jointly develop rules for adoption by the state board of education regarding the provision of prekindergarten education by or through a public school, when the school intends that at least some of the children will be counted in its average daily membership. Among other things, the rules would ensure collaboration with the community, existing providers, and parents.
3. Permitting a child who is enrolled in 10 or more hours of prekindergarten education or Triple E services per week to be counted as one full-time equivalent pupil. Children enrolled for fewer than 10 hours per week are addressed differently.
4. Clarifying that although there is no limit on the number of prekindergarten children who may be enrolled in a prekindergarten education program or who may receive Triple E services, the number that may be included within a districts average daily membership is limited as provided in Sec. 6 of the act.
5. Setting the weighted membership of a prekindergarten child at 0.46.
6. Requiring the commissioners of education and for children and families to file with the committees on education a detailed report regarding the status of prekindergarten education by January 1, 2010.
7. Establishing transitional provisions that grandfather for purposes of the ADM certain prekindergarten programs that existed before the effective date of the act.
8. Extending the life of the prekindergarten education study committee until March 1, 2008 so that it can continue to work with the commissioners of education and for children and families during the implementation of the act, especially the rulemaking required by Sec. 3.
9. Clarifying that nothing in the act requires a school district to provide a prekindergarten program.
Effective Date: July 1, 2007; rules required in Sec. 3 apply beginning in the 2008-2009 academic year.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street