ACT NO. 19
Motor vehicles; new motor vehicle arbitration board; refunds; false statements; snowmobiles, motorboats, and all-terrain vehicles; seizure
(1) Provides that the new motor vehicle arbitration board (lemon law board) be attached to the department of motor vehicles.
(2) Permits the department of motor vehicles to offset any refunds owed against amounts owed the department for dishonored checks.
(3) Expands the list of documents presented to the department of motor vehicles which must be signed under oath.
(4) Amends the law regarding false statements on applications by providing that a person shall not obtain or attempt to obtain a registration plate, validation sticker, registration certificate, certificate of title, operators license, learners permit, nondriver identification card, duplicate copy of any of these documents, or obtain or attempt to obtain any other permit, license, or special privilege from the department of motor vehicles through the submission of an application containing false or fictitious information. A violation of these provisions is a traffic violation with a penalty of not more than $1,000.00.
(5) Allows an enforcement officer to seize a snowmobile, motorboat, or all-terrain vehicle found to have its identifying numbers obliterated, defaced, or tampered with.
(6) Provides that salvage certificates of title be subject to the same 15-year limit as certificates for other vehicles.
(7) Exempts vessels more than 15 years old from the requirement of a certificate of title.
Effective Date: July 1, 2007
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street