ACT NO. 2
Agriculture; interim dairy assistance; long-term goals for the industry
This act established long-term goals for the general assembly to support programs and policies that foster the development of a diversified agricultural sector. The act noted that Vermont dairy farmers were laboring under the problems caused by the unfavorable weather of the 2006 growing season, the high cost of production, and the low price paid for milk. The act appropriated $3 million to be paid in March 2007 to supplement the $8.6 million appropriated by the Joint Fiscal Council in July paid to dairy farmers on the basis of milk production. The act also appropriated $100,000.00 to the Vermont Agricultural Credit Corporation at the Vermont Economic Development Authority and $100,000.00 to the agency of agriculture, food and markets for emergency funding for farm capital needs resulting from the February 2007 blizzard. The act noted the funding offsets required to provide funding for the act, as follows:
(1) Recognize and directly apply to the general fund $600,000.00 from the consumer protection fund in fiscal year 2007.
(2) Remove or reduce the following appropriations from the governors budget proposal for fiscal year 2008:
(A) $700,000.00 for judicial case management system;
(B) Reduce from $400,000.00 to $150,000.00 for regional marketing Organizations; and
(C) Reduce debt service cost by $100,000.00.
(3) Recognize vendor incentive payments of $500,000.00 to the general fund in fiscal year 2007.
(4) Reduce LIHEAP from $990,000.00 to $590,000.00 in the governors budget adjustment proposal for fiscal year 2007.
(5) Recognize and directly apply to the general fund increases from the captive insurance fund at the department of banking, insurance, securities, and health care administration:
(A) $360,000.00 in fiscal year 2007; and
(B) $290,000.00 in fiscal year 2008.
The act also noted that the payment provided by this act is the final dairy assistance program payment for the 20072008 biennium.
Effective Date: February 23, 2007
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street