thursday, february 10, 2005
TABLE OF CONTENTS
S. 62 Dept. of Banking, Insurance, Securities & Health Care Adm................ 70
S. 80 Relating to increasing the minimum wage.............................................. 70
S. 74 Allocation of assets of the Vermont state retirement systems................ 70
Concurrent Resolutions for Adoption Under Joint Rule 16
(For text of Resolutions, see Addendum to February 10, 2005 Calendar)
SCR 12 Honoring 2004 winners of the Vermont Tree Steward award............... 70
HCR 38 Vermont’s “Lost Boys of Sudan” and Sudanese families...................... 71
HCR 39 Honoring Hall and Marion Cushman.................................................... 72
HCR 40 Green Mountain Council Boy Scout Eagle Class of 2004..................... 74
HCR 41 In memory of U.S. Marine Corps Sgt. Jesse Strong of Albany............. 77
An act relating to the department of banking, insurance, securities, and health care administration.
An act relating to increasing the minimum wage.
An act relating to the allocation of the assets of the state teachers’ retirement system of Vermont, the Vermont state employees’ retirement system, and the Vermont municipal employees’ retirement system.
Reported favorably by Senator Doyle for the Committee on Government Operations.
(Committee vote: 6-0-0)
Concurrent Resolutions for Notice under Joint Rule 16
The following concurrent resolutions have been introduced for approval by the Senate and House and will be adopted automatically unless a Senator or Representative requests floor consideration before the end of the session of the next legislative day. Requests for floor consideration in either chamber should be communicated to the Secretary’s office and/or the House Clerk’s office, respectively.
Senate concurrent resolution honoring the 2004 winners of the Vermont Tree Steward award.
House concurrent resolution congratulating Vermont’s “Lost Boys of Sudan” and Sudanese families who have resettled in the state on the occasion of the signing of the Sudanese peace accord.
House concurrent resolution honoring Hall and Marion Cushman for their community service activities
House concurrent resolution honoring the Green Mountain Council Boy Scout Eagle Class of 2004
House concurrent resolution in memory of U.S. Marine Corps Sgt. Jesse Strong of Albany
The following appointment will be considered by the Senate, as a group, under suspension of the Rules, as moved by the President pro tempore, for confirmation together and without debate, by consent thereby given by the Senate. However, upon request of any senator, any appointment may be singled out and acted upon separately by the Senate, with consideration given to the report of the Committee to which the appointment was referred, and with full debate; and further, all appointments for the positions of Secretaries of Agencies, Commissioners of Departments, Judges, Magistrates, and members of the Public Service Board shall be fully and separately acted upon.
Lindy E. Caslin of Bennington – Member of the State Board of Education – By Senator Wilton for the Committee on Education. (1/20)
John Hashagen, Jr. of Brattleboro – Member of the Vermont Economic Development Authority – By Senator Maynard for the Committee on Finance. (2/9)
Edward T. Ogorzalek of Rutland – Member of the Vermont Educational and Health Buildings Financing Agency – By Senator Maynard for the Committee on Finance. (2/9)
Notice of Hearing
Note: This hearing is not for public comment. Thursday, February 10, 2005, 4:00 p.m. – House Committee on Ways and Means: Re: Legislators’ suggestions to address increase in property values.
Joint public hearing on Fiscal Year 2006 budget
on Vermont Interactive Television
Monday, February 14, 2005, 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. - The House and Senate Appropriations Committees will hold a joint public hearing on Vermont Interactive Television (V.I.T.) to give Vermonters throughout the state an opportunity to express their views about the State’s budget for fiscal year 2006. All VIT sites will be available for the hearing: Bennington, Brattleboro, Canaan, Castleton, Colchester, Johnson, Lyndonville, Middlebury, Newport, Randolph Center, Rutland, Springfield, St. Albans, Waterbury and White River Junction. VIT’s web site has an up-to-date location listing, including driving directions and telephone numbers: www:vitlink.org
For further information about the format of this event, call the House Appropriations Committee office at 802/828-2251. Requests for interpreters should be made to the office no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, February 4.
Thursday, February 17, 2005 – 10:30 A.M. – House Chamber – Election of a Sergeant at Arms, of an Adjutant and Inspector General, and of three (3) trustees for the University of Vermont, and Vermont and State Agricultural College.
Candidates for the positions of Sergeant at Arms and of Adjutant and Inspector General, and legislative candidates for UVM trustees must notify the Secretary of State in writing of their candidacies not later than Thursday, February 10, 2005, by 5:00 P.M., pursuant to the provisions of 2 V.S.A. § 12(b). Otherwise their names will not appear on the ballots for these positions.
The following rules shall apply to the conduct of these elections:
First: All nominations for these offices will be presented in alphabetical order prior to voting.
Second: There will be only one nominating speech of not more than three (3) minutes and not more than two seconding speeches of not more than one (1) minute each for each nominee.
Reminder for Introduction of Senate Bills
Senators are reminded to submit to Legislative Council drafting requests for introduction of bills as soon as possible, and, pursuant to Senate Rule 39, no later than Wednesday, February 16, 2005.
REPORTS ON FILE
Pursuant to the provisions of 2 V.S.A. §20(c), one (1) copy of the following reports is on file in the office of the Secretary of the Senate:
80. Department of Taxes Biennial Report 2003-2004. (January 2005).
81. Management of the Deer Herd. (Department of Fish and Wildlife). (January 2005).
82. Department of Buildings and General Services Report to the General Assembly. (February 2005).
83. Workers’ Compensation Adjuster Performance Standards and Techniques to Stabilize Workers’ Compensation Insurance Premiums. (Department of Banking, Insurance, Securities & Health Care Administration). (February 2005).
84. Report on the Use of Social Security Numbers, Pursuant to Act No. 155 Sec. 5, An Act Relating to Identity Theft. (Agency of Administration). (February 2005).
85. Response to Statement of Legislative Intent of Act 122 of 2004-Re: Potential savings of refinancing the long-term capital debt of community mental health centers property used as housing for low-income Vermonters with physical or mental disabilities. (Department of Health; Department of Housing and Conservation Board; Vermont Housing Finance Agency). (February 2005).
86. Report on Current Reach Up Caseload. (Department for Children and Families Economic Services Division). (February 2005).
87. Workers’ Compensation Analysis of: Coverage Compliance and Fraud; Heart Attacks by Firefighters; Ombudsman Position; Apportionment; Medical Cost Control Mechanisms and Savings; Strategies for Reducing Prescription Drug Costs. (Department of Labor land Industry). (February 2005).
88. Vermont Tobacco Evaluation and Review Board Report. (February 2005).
89. Vermont Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Pollution Control Revolving Fund Report. (Agency of Natural Resources). (February 2005).
90. Vermont Labor Relations Board Annual Report. (February 2005).
91. Impact of Premiums on the Medicaid Program-Second, Third and Fourth Quarter 2004 Reports. (Agency of Human Services, Department for Children and Families, Economic Services Division). (February 2005).
92. Conservation License Plate Program Report. (Agency of Natural Resources, Department of Fish and Wildlife). (February 2005).
93. Privacy of Medical Records in Vermont. (Department of Banking, Insurance, Securities and Health Care Administration; Department of Health). (February 2005).
94. Council on Education Governance Report. (February 2005).
95. Jurisdiction and Duties of Assistant Judges Report of the Legislative Study Committee. (February 2005).
96. Lottery Commission Annual Report. (February 2005).
97. Program Development-Structures Section. (Agency of Transportation, Structures Section/Bridge Management Unit). (February 2005).
98. Medicaid Enrollment and Adverse Selection Report/Disenrollment Report. (Agency of Human Services, Department for Children and Families, Economic Services Division). (February 2005).
99. “An Independent Study of the Administration of Involuntary Medications Under Act 114 During 2004”. (Flint Springs Associates). (February 2005).
100. Connecticut River Bridge Advisory Commission Annual Report. (Agency of Transportation, Program Development Division). (February 2005).
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street