AN ACT RELATING TO APPROVAL OF AMENDMENTS TO THE CHARTER OF THE VILLAGE OF JACKSONVILLE
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. CHARTER APPROVAL
Notwithstanding the provisions of 17 V.S.A. § 2645(a) and (b), the general assembly approves the Village of Jacksonville charter amendments as provided in this act. The amendments were approved by the voters on November 29, 2005.
Sec. 2. 24 App. V.S.A chapter 227, §§ 2, 3, and 15 are amended to read:
§ 2. ANNUAL AND SPECIAL MEETINGS
(a) The annual meeting of
said the village
shall be held on the first Tuesday in May at two third Tuesday in
June at seven o’clock p. m. p.m., or at
such other time as shall be prescribed by the bylaws at such places as shall be
prescribed by the bylaws.
(b) Special meetings shall be called by the clerk on request of seven legal voters of the village. All meetings of the village shall be warned by the clerk by posting a notice in at least three public places in the village ten days before the meeting. Legal voters in town meeting, who have resided in the village at least three months, shall be legal voters in village meetings.
§ 3. ELECTION AND DUTIES OF OFFICERS
(a) At the annual meeting, there shall be elected, by ballot if
called for by three voters,
a president who shall preside at all meetings
and have all the powers of a moderator in town meeting and be ex-officio a
member and presiding officer of the board of trustees; a clerk, a
treasurer, a chief engineer, first and second assistant engineers, a collector,
three auditors, and four five trustees, who shall serve
until their successors are elected. They shall be sworn, and the clerk shall
make a record thereof. The clerk, collector, and treasurer shall give such
bonds as shall be required by the trustees. Vacancies may be filled at special
meetings called for that purpose.
(b) The trustees shall elect one trustee to serve as president.
(c) Each of the elected officers shall perform the following duties:
(1) The president shall preside at all meetings and have all the powers of a moderator in town meetings and be an ex-officio member and presiding officer of the board of trustees.
(2) The senior trustee shall act as president if the president is absent at the annual meeting or any meeting of the trustees.
(3) The clerk shall keep a record of the annual meeting and any
special meetings that are called in accordance with the charter of the village and also keep a record of all proceedings at the trustees’ meetings.
(4) The treasurer shall be custodian of all money belonging to the village and shall pay all obligations of the village that the president and at least two trustees have approved.
(d) The village shall employ an auditor who shall conduct an annual audit in accordance with Government Accounting Standards and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) rules.
(e) The trustees shall:
(1) Have general charge of all affairs of the village and shall meet at least once a month at the time and place as the president may designate for the meetings, and the trustees may hold as many additional meetings in any month as they deem advisable.
(2) Shall make all contracts concerning the building of electric light lines and maintenance of the same.
(3) Do all things necessary to maintain the electric light system that the village owns in the town of Whitingham.
(4) Fix the compensation of all employees and officers of the village.
(5) Establish the rates for the electric light service that the village furnishes, subject to the approval of the public service board of the state of Vermont.
§ 15. Bylaws
The village, at an annual or special meeting duly warned for that purpose, may make, alter, and repeal bylaws of the following subject matter, viz.:
* * *
Sec. 3. VILLAGE OF JACKSONVILLE; 2006 ANNUAL MEETING;
(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, the Village of Jacksonville shall hold its 2006 annual meeting on the third Tuesday in June at seven o’clock p.m. At this meeting, the village shall first vote whether or not to approve the amendments to its charter as provided in this act.
(b) This section shall take effect upon passage. Secs. 1 and 2 of this act shall take effect upon approval of the charter amendments contained in this act by the voters of the Village of Jacksonville. Following approval of the amendments by the voters, the village clerk shall certify the vote to the secretary of state.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street