Introduced by Committee on Institutions
Subject: Technical education; creation of study committee; reallocation of capital appropriations
Statement of purpose: This bill proposes to establish a planning committee for the technical school region encompassing Chittenden, Grand Isle, and portions of Franklin Counties to prepare a proposed governance agreement for public vote and to reallocate up to $30,000.00 for these purposes from unused capital appropriations made in previous years.
AN ACT RELATING TO TECHNICAL EDUCATION IN THE CHITTENDEN COUNTY SERVICE REGION
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. TECHNICAL EDUCATION; CHITTENDEN COUNTY SERVICE REGION; TRANSFER OF FUNDS; PLANNING FOR VOTE ON GOVERNANCE AGREEMENT
(a) Reallocation. Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, all capital appropriations made in prior legislative sessions to the department of buildings and general services for use by the Lake Champlain Chamber of Commerce, the Chittenden County Workforce Investment Board, or the Lake Champlain Regional Technical Center School District (“LCRTCSD”) that remain in any LCRTCSD account shall be transferred to the department of buildings and general services on or before July 15, 2005; of the amount transferred, the department shall disburse the sum of $30,000.00 to the Chittenden South Supervisory Union Board as fiscal agent for the purpose of supporting the work required of the planning committee created in subsection (b) of this section.
(b) Notwithstanding any provisions of 16 V.S.A. § 1572 to the contrary, there is created a technical education planning committee (the “Planning Committee”) for the area defined as comprising the Chittenden County Service Region by state board of education rule (the “Region”), as follows:
(1) Membership. The members of the Planning Committee shall be:
(A) A member of the Burlington Board of School Commissioners, to be selected by that board.
(B) A member of the Essex Union #46 High School District Board, to be selected by that board.
(C) One member from each of two different school boards representing sending school districts in the Region, to be appointed by the commissioner of education.
(D) Two superintendents from the Region, to be appointed by the commissioner of education.
(E) The director of the Burlington Technical Center.
(F) The director of the Center for Technology – Essex.
(G) One principal from each of two different sending school districts in the Region, to be appointed by the commissioner of education.
(H) One teacher from either the Burlington Technical Center or the Center for Technology – Essex, to be appointed by the commissioner of education.
(I) Four members of the business community in the Region, to be appointed by the Chittenden County Workforce Investment Board.
(J) Two residents of the Region, to be appointed by the commissioner of education.
(2) Appointments by the commissioner. When making appointments required under subdivision (1) of this subsection, the commissioner of education shall ensure representation from each of the seven sending school districts.
(3) Actions of the Planning Committee. Nine members shall constitute a quorum of the Planning Committee. Any vote taken by the Planning Committee shall be binding only if a quorum is present and voting and if affirmed by a vote of at least nine of the voting members present.
(4) Authority. The general assembly confers on the Planning Committee all authority to study and recommend what action, if any, the general assembly should take with regard to providing technical education within the Region and for otherwise carrying out the responsibilities of a “planning committee” under subchapter 5A of chapter 37 of Title 16, consistent with the provisions of this section. Specifically, the Planning Committee shall be responsible for drafting any governance documents for presentation to the electorate and is authorized to spend the $30,000.00 reallocated for the Planning Committee’s use in subsection (a) of this section for legal and other consulting costs associated with preparation of these documents.
(5) Organizational meeting. An organizational meeting of the Planning Committee shall be called by the commissioner of education to occur no later than 30 days following the effective date of this act. At the organizational meeting, the first order of business shall be to elect, by majority vote of all voting members of the Planning Committee, a member to serve as chair. At the organizational meeting, the chair shall ensure that the Planning Committee establishes a timetable by which to attain the goals set forth in this section.
(6) Access to records and information. The LCRTCSD shall ensure that all of its records and information relating to its work are made available to the Planning Committee and comply with all requirements relating to the disposition of public records.
(7) Oversight. The commissioner of education shall monitor the Planning Committee’s work and shall approve all expenditures of the sums reallocated to the Committee in subsection (a) of this section.
(c) Report to legislative committees. On or before January 15, 2006, the Planning Committee and the department of education shall jointly provide a progress report to the house and senate committees on education and on institutions concerning the implementation of this section.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street