Introduced by Representatives Peaslee of Guildhall and Johnson of Canaan
Subject: County government; Essex County sheriff’s department; county budget; state matching funds
Statement of purpose: This bill proposes to require the state to match any additional amounts collected for deputy sheriff salaries and benefits above those amounts in the county budget.
AN ACT RELATING TO SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT FUNDING
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. 24 V.S.A. § 73(c) is added to read:
(c) A town in Essex County whose population does not exceed 2,500 may vote at its annual meeting to appropriate money for extra law enforcement from its sheriff’s department pursuant to the following:
(1) If a town votes to appropriate money for extra law enforcement, the town clerk shall forward a record of that vote along with the amount voted to the assistant judges of the county.
(2) An assistant judge of the superior court of the county shall calculate the total amount of money appropriated by the towns under this subsection and provide verification to the commissioner of public safety.
(3) An assistant judge shall provide the commissioner of finance and management with a calculation of all fines assessed in the county by the sheriff’s department for the previous year.
(4) The commissioner of public safety shall forward the verification to the commissioner of finance and management who shall issue a warrant for a matching sum payable from the state treasury to the county of Essex. However, no warrant shall exceed the calculation of all fines assessed in the county for the previous year.
(5) Matching funds under this subsection shall be used only for salaries and benefits for deputy sheriffs.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street