Introduced by Representative Adams of Hartland
Subject: Motor vehicles; snowmobiles; vessels; registration
Statement of purpose: This bill proposes to clarify that residents of this state must annually register snowmobiles and vessels owned or leased for a period of more than 30 days and operated by them, and it requires a resident of this state who has moved into the state from another jurisdiction to register a snowmobile or vessel within 60 days of moving into the state.
AN ACT RELATING TO REGISTERING SNOWMOBILES AND VESSELS
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. 23 V.S.A. § 3202(a) is amended to read:
(a) Registration and decal required. Residents shall annually register snowmobiles owned or leased for a period of more than 30 days and operated by them, unless currently registered in Vermont. A resident who has moved into the state from another jurisdiction shall register his or her snowmobile within 60 days of moving into the state. A person shall not operate a snowmobile unless registered and numbered by the state of Vermont or other state or province and displays a valid Vermont trails maintenance assessment decal adjacent to the registration decal on the left side of the snowmobile in accordance with this chapter, except when operated:
(1) on the property of the owner of the snowmobile; or
(2) off the highway, in a ski area while being used for the purpose of packing snow or in rescue operations; or
(3) for official use by a federal, state, or municipal agency and only if the snowmobile is identified with the name or seal of the agency in a manner approved by the commissioner; or
privately-owned privately owned land when the operator has the
written consent of the owner, or his or her agent, of the property; or
(5) on frozen bodies of water as designated by the agency of natural resources under the provisions of 10 V.S.A. § 2607. For purposes of this subdivision, a snowmobile shall not be required to display a trails maintenance assessment decal if not operating on a portion of the statewide snowmobile trails system. Liability insurance as provided for in subdivision 3206(b)(19) of this title and a valid registration decal are required; or
(6) for emergency use by fire service personnel.
Sec. 2. 23 V.S.A. § 3305(a) is amended to read:
(a) A person shall not operate a motorboat on the public waters of this state unless the motorboat is registered in accordance with this chapter. Residents shall annually register motorboats owned or leased for a period of more than 30 days and operated by them, unless currently registered in Vermont. A resident who has moved into the state from another jurisdiction shall register his or her motorboat within 60 days of moving into the state.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street