Introduced by Representative LaVoie of Swanton
Subject: Education; school budgets; Medicaid reimbursement funds
Statement of purpose: This bill proposes to require school districts to show revenues from Medicaid reimbursements and a proposal for expenditure of those reimbursements in their annual budgets.
AN ACT RELATING TO INCLUSION OF MEDICAID REIMBURSEMENTS AND EXPENDITURES IN ANNUAL SCHOOL DISTRICT BUDGETS
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. 16 V.S.A. § 563(11) is amended to read:
(11) Shall prepare and distribute annually a proposed budget for the next school year according to such major categories as may from time to time be prescribed by the commissioner. At a school district’s annual meeting, the electorate may vote to provide notice of availability of the school budget required by this subdivision to the electorate in lieu of distributing the budget. If the electorate of the school district votes to provide notice of availability, it must specify how notice of availability shall be given, and such notice of availability shall be provided to the electorate at least 30 days before the district’s annual meeting. The proposed budget shall be prepared and distributed at least ten days before a sum of money is voted on by the electorate. Any proposed budget shall show the following information in a format prescribed by the commissioner of education:
(A) all revenues from all sources and expenses, including as separate items any monies received from Medicaid reimbursements under section 2959a of this title and how those monies will be expended, and any assessment for a union school district or a supervisory union of which it is a member;
(B) the specific amount of any deficit incurred in the most recently closed fiscal year and how the deficit was or will be remedied;
(C) the anticipated homestead tax rate and the percentage of household income used to determine income sensitivity in the district as a result of passage of the budget; including those portions of the tax rate attributable to the union school and supervisory union assessments; and
(D) in the case of a school district other than a union school district, the definition of “education spending,” the number of pupils and number of equalized pupils in the school district, and the district’s education spending per equalized pupil in the proposed budget and in each of the prior three years; or
(E) in the case of a union school district, the amount of the assessment to each of the member districts and the amount of the assessments per equalized pupil in the proposed budget and for the past three years.
Sec. 2. 16 V.S.A. § 706q(c) is amended to read:
(c) The board of directors shall prepare an annual report concerning the affairs of the union district and have it printed and distributed to the legal voters of the union at least ten days prior to the annual union district meeting. The report shall be filed with the clerk of the union district, and the town clerk of each member district. It shall include:
(1) A statement of the board concerning the affairs of the union district;
(2) The budget proposed for the next year which shall show all revenues from all sources and expenses, including as separate items any monies received from Medicaid reimbursements under section 2959a of this title and how those monies will be expended;
(3) A statement of the superintendent of schools for the union district concerning the affairs of the union;
(4) A treasurer’s report;
(5) A summary of an auditor’s report prepared pursuant to subchapter 5 of chapter 51 of Title 24. The summary shall include a list of the fiscal years which are audited by the auditors and a notice of the time when and the place where the full report of the auditor will be available for inspection and copying at cost. The union district clerk shall distribute copies of the annual report as provided by section 1173 of Title 24.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street