AN ACT RELATING TO TEMPORARY ASSISTANCE FOR NEEDY FAMILIES
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. TEMPORARY ASSISTANCE FOR NEEDY FAMILIES WORK
(a) The temporary assistance for needy families (TANF) work group is created to review the changes in the federal law governing TANF, assess the impact on Vermont’s programs funded with TANF dollars, and to develop a recommendation for legislative action. The work group’s recommendation shall be reported to the general assembly no later than January 15, 2007.
(b) The work group shall be composed of:
(1) one member from the house committee on human services and one member from the house committee on appropriations to be appointed by the speaker of the house;
(2) one member from the senate committee on health and welfare and one member from the senate committee on appropriations to be appointed by the committee on committees;
(3) the deputy commissioner of the department for children and families, economic services division or designee;
(4) a representative from the Vermont low income advocacy council;
(5) a representative from Vermont legal aid; and
(6) other members as appointed by the chair of the work group.
(c) The work group shall elect a chair and vice chair and shall receive staff support from the legislative council’s office. The work group is authorized to meet up to four times outside the legislative session to perform its functions under this section. Members of the committee shall be entitled to compensation and reimbursement for expenses under section 406 of Title 2.
(d) The agency of human services may form an advisory committee to gather input from a wide range of interested parties. Input shall be provided to the work group to assist in the making of informed recommendations.
(e) The secretary of human services, the legislative council, and the joint fiscal office shall provide staff support requested by the committee.
(f) The committee shall cease to exist upon adjournment of the first year of the 2007 legislative session.
Sec. 2. LEGISLATIVE FUNDING; INTERIM 2006; TRANSFER
Of the funds appropriated to the legislative council by Section 263(g) (19) of Act 71 of 2005 ( FY 05 designated balance waterfall) the amount of $13,000 shall be transferred to the legislature for the support of interim committee studies and activities of the legislature in fiscal year 2007.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street