NO. R-228. House concurrent resolution honoring the Windham Congregational Church on its 200th anniversary.
Offered by: Representatives Partridge of Windham and Obuchowski of Rockingham.
Whereas, the Windham Meeting House was constructed in 1802 and served at first as the house of worship for several religious denominations, and
Whereas, on September 9, 1805, the several congregations that worshipped in the Meeting House merged into a single congregation associated with the United Church of Christ, also known as the Congregational Church, and adopted a Confession of Faith and Covenant, and
Whereas, the nine original congregants who gathered on that September day 200 years ago were Edward Aiken, Thomas Burnap, Nathaniel Aiken, Peter Aiken, John Burnap, Jonathan Brintnall, John Aiken, Adna Aiken, and Nabby Burnap, and
Whereas, also in attendance at the organizational meeting were William Hall, pastor of the Grafton Congregational Church, James Tufts, pastor of the Wardsborough Congregational Church, and James Ross, a delegate of the church, and
Whereas, the newly established congregation chose the Rev. William Hall as moderator and John Burnap as clerk, and
Whereas, the church’s membership grew quickly even though the sanctuary remained in rough condition and was not the most comfortable location to gather for worship, and
Whereas, two centuries later, the Windham Congregational Church remains a small but spiritually thriving congregation, now therefore be it
Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives:
That the General Assembly congratulates the Windham Congregational Church on its 200th anniversary, and be it further
Resolved: That the secretary of state be directed to send a copy of this resolution to Margaret Woodruff at the Windham Congregational Church.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street