NO. R-197. House concurrent resolution congratulating the village of Saxtons River on the centennial anniversary of its incorporation.
Offered by: Representatives Obuchowski of Rockingham and Partridge of Windham.
Whereas, on January 5, 1820, an application was presented to the Rockingham selectboard to establish, within the town, the boundaries of the village of Saxtons River which were initially described as “extending west on the road leading to Grafton as far as the division line between Ebenezer Lovell’s land and Samuel Ober’s land, and north on the road leading to John Pulsipher’s as far as the division line between Ebenezer Lovell’s land and Jonathan Barron’s land; and north on the road leading from Saxtons River village to the centre village,” and
Whereas, by 1905, the village, which borders the river for which it is named, had grown to a thriving community of approximately 900 residents, and
Whereas, pursuant to the Vermont Statutes of 1894, “Selectmen shall, upon a petition of a majority of the voters in town meeting residing in a village containing thirty or more houses, establish the bounds of such village and cause a description thereof, by its name and bounds, to be recorded in the town clerk’s office…. and the residents in such village shall there upon become a body politic and corporate with the powers incident to a public corporation …,” and
Whereas, in 1905, the requisite number of voters from Saxtons River submitted a petition as legally required and, on November 16, 1905, the Rockingham selectboard incorporated the village with slightly altered boundaries from those established in 1820 “Commencing at a large whitewashed rock in the pasture of the so called G. M. Cory farm,” and
Whereas, the articles of incorporation were filed with the town clerk on the next day, November 17, 1905, and
Whereas, at 7:30 p.m., on November 29, 1905, the first meeting of the incorporated village of Saxtons River was held and the voters elected Dr. Frederick Osgood, moderator; George Alexander, clerk; Cecil K. Hughes, treasurer; and other elected officials included W. B. Glynn, F. B. Locke, W. W. Barry, L. G. Thompson, and I. A. Farr, and
Whereas, 2005 marks the centennial anniversary of the incorporation of the village of Saxtons River which continues to play a vital civic role within the town of Rockingham, now therefore be it
Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives:
That the General Assembly congratulates the village of Saxtons River on the centennial anniversary of its incorporation, and be it further
Resolved: That the secretary of state be directed to send a copy of this resolution to the Saxtons River village clerk.
The Vermont General Assembly
115 State Street