ACT NO. 69
Colored Light Permits; Alteration of Odometers; Registration of Snowmobiles, All-Terrain Vehicles, and Motorboats; Transfer of Motor Vehicle Registration; Certificates of Title
(1) Provides that applications for colored light permits be given subject to the penalties for false representation or impersonating another person. The violator may be fined up to $1,000.00 or imprisoned for not more than two years, or both.
(2) Provides that persons who attempt to register a motor vehicle, snowmobile, all-terrain vehicle, or motorboat of which they are not the bona fide owner shall be fined up to $500.00 or imprisoned for not more than two years, or both.
(3) Corrects language relating to odometer tampering.
(4) Defines time of sale or transfer and date of sale to mean the date when a vehicle is physically delivered to a purchaser.
(5) Makes technical corrections to the statute relating to the resale of a motor vehicle by a motor vehicle dealer.
(6) Allows the commissioner of motor vehicles to seize and impound any certificate of title which has been cancelled.
(7) Corrects language relating to fraudulent and counterfeit motor vehicle title documents.
(8) Makes it an offense to falsify information required in a motor vehicle or vessel title for either transfer or ownership; makes it an offense to sell or transfer a motor vehicle or vessel to which the seller does not have ownership rights or authorization to sell.
(9) Specifies that an all-terrain vehicle operated on a highway shall be considered a motor vehicle.
(10) Sets the annual registration fee for a well drilling tender truck at $105.00.
Effective Date: The section establishing the registration fee for a well drilling tender truck takes effect on January 1, 2002 and the remainder of the act takes effect on July 1, 2001.