NO. 21. AN ACT RELATING TO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND WORLD TRADE.
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. 10 V.S.A. § 26 is amended to read:
§ 26. DEFINITIONS
For the purposes of this chapter:
(1) "World trade office" means a nonprofit corporation, organized in this state, whose principal purpose is to promote, organize or accomplish the enhancement of foreign trade by Vermont businesses, by means including the provision of technical services to Vermont businesses, the marketing of Vermont services and products, the arranging of trade partnerships or agreements with Vermont businesses, and the provision of information regarding foreign business and trade opportunities.
(2) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of economic
(3) "Secretary" means the secretary of the agency of commerce and community development.
(4) "Agency" means the agency of commerce and community development.
(5) "Board" means the board of directors for the world trade office.
(6) "Director" means the director of international trade and investment for the department of economic development.
Sec. 2. 10 V.S.A. § 30 is amended to read:
§ 30. CONSISTENT EFFORTS; COORDINATION WITH THE DIRECTOR
OF INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND INVESTMENT
(a) The approved world trade office shall conduct its activities in a manner that is consistent with the foreign trade efforts of the department of economic development.
(b) The commissioner, in consultation with the board, may hire a director of international trade and investment to serve as the executive director of the world trade office, pursuant to a memorandum of understanding signed by the chairperson of the board and the commissioner. The director’s world trade office responsibilities and performance expectations shall be developed by the board and approved by the commissioner, and may include the supervision of personnel employed by the world trade office. The director shall report to the commissioner for all personnel and compensation purposes. The commissioner, in consultation with the board, shall perform an annual performance evaluation of the director.
Sec. 3. 10 V.S.A. § 32(c) is added to read:
(c) Notwithstanding any laws or regulations governing the extent to which state employees may supervise the daily activities or methods and means by which a contractor or grantee provides services, the director may exercise supervision over the same when serving as the executive director of the world trade office.
Sec. 4. EFFECTIVE DATE
This act shall take effect from passage.
Approved: May 11, 2001