ACT NO. 110
School Buses; Commercial and Municipal Fleet Inspection Stations;
Driver's Training School and Driving Instructor's License
(1) Amends the definition in the motor vehicle statutes of a Type II school bus to mean a vehicle designed to transport fewer than 11 people, rather than carrying fewer than 11 people.
(2) Allows a school bus, other than a Type I school bus owned or leased by a school and not being used on a fixed route to transport students to and from home and school, to be a color other than national school bus yellow, if it meets the other identification and equipment requirements.
(3) Defines a commercial fleet inspection station as a company or business that has been designated by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles as an official commercial fleet inspection station, provided it has 10 or more motor vehicles registered in the name of the company or business, and meets all the requirements for designation as an official inspection station. Commercial fleet inspection stations are authorized to inspect only those vehicles registered to the company or business.
(4) Defines a municipal fleet inspection station as a municipality that has been designated as an official municipal fleet inspection station, provided it has motor vehicles registered in the name of the municipality, and meets all the requirements for designation as an official inspection station. Municipal fleet inspection stations are authorized to inspect only those vehicles registered to a municipality.
(5) Requires the judicial bureau to accept as evidence of a persons previous license suspension, a printout of the persons motor vehicle record attested to by a law enforcement officer.
(6) Provides that a driver's training school and driving instructors license shall not be issued to a person who has been convicted of specified offenses.
(7) Increases the amount of insurance that a drivers training school must maintain from $50,000.00 to $300,000.00 for bodily injury or death of one person in any one accident, and from $100,000.00 to $500,000.00 for bodily injury or death of two or more persons in any one accident, and from $50,000.00 to $100,000.00 for damage to property of others in any one accident.
(8) Requires drivers training schools to maintain evidence of their insurance in the form of a certificate from an insurance company authorized to do business in this state filed with the commissioner of motor vehicles setting forth the amount of coverage and providing that the policy of insurance shall be non-cancelable except after 15 days' written notice to the commissioner.
(9) Allows a commercial driver instruction permit to be issued to persons holding a valid driver's license for the same class of vehicle they seek to teach.
Effective Date: July 1, 2000