ACT NO. 31
Motor Vehicle Dealers
(1) Amends the definition of motor vehicle dealer and within that definition, requires that the dealer have a building of at least 1,200 square feet in size used primarily for the business of the dealership.
(2) Provides dealers with more flexibility for off site displays.
(3) Authorizes two year dealer registrations.
(4) Requires dealers to retain specified records for six years.
(5) Authorizes the Department of Motor Vehicles to impose administrative penalties for violation of the dealer law.
(6) Requires the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles to review the penalties assessed under this act and to report to the House and Senate Committees on Transportation on or before March 15, 2000. The report shall include an assessment of the impact of administrative penalties on compliance with dealer registration laws and the number and categories of administrative penalties assessed since July 1, 1999.
Effective Date: July 1, 1999, except for the sections which set forth the definition and criteria of being a dealer and for the rulemaking authority, which took effect on May 11, 1999.