NO. 3. AN ACT RELATING TO NONRESIDENT SNOWMOBILERS.
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. 23 V.S.A. § 3201(8) is added to read:
(8) "Public land" means all land that is either owned or controlled by a local, state or federal governmental body.
Sec. 2. 23 V.S.A. § 3202(a) and (f) are amended to read:
(a) A person shall not operate a snowmobile unless registered and numbered by the state of Vermont or other state or province *[
offering registration reciprocity]* and displays a valid Vermont trails maintenance assessment decal adjacent to the registration decal on the left side of the snowmobile in accordance with this chapter, except when operated:
(1) on the property of the owner of the snowmobile; or
(2) off the highway, in a ski area while being used for the purpose of packing snow or in rescue operations; or
(3) for official use by a federal, state or municipal agency and only if the snowmobile is identified with the name or seal of the agency in a manner approved by the commissioner; or
(4) solely on privately owned land when the operator has the written consent of the owner, or his or her agent, of the property.
(f) Reciprocity *[
required]*. The commissioner may grant registration reciprocity to snowmobiles registered in other states or provinces upon recommendation of the Governors Snowmobile Council and the Vermont Association of Snow Travelers, Inc.; or its successor. The granting of reciprocal areas of use as provided in this act is not contingent upon reciprocity being granted to Vermont registrants by *[ the]* other states and provinces *[ enumerated in subsections (e) and (g) of this section]*.
Sec. 3. EFFECTIVE DATE
This act shall take effect upon passage.
Approved: March 8, 1997