NO. 31. AN ACT RELATING TO THE CREATION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION AND INNOVATION.
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. 3 V.S.A. § 2202(a) is amended to read:
§ 2202. CREATION OF AGENCY
(a) An agency of administration is created. The agency shall consist of the following:
* * *
(5) The department of taxes;
(6) The department of information and innovation.
Sec. 2. 3 V.S.A. § 2222(a)(9) is amended to read:
Submit to the general assembly concurrent with the governor’s annual budget
request required under 32 V.S.A. § 306, a strategic plan for information
technology which outlines the significant deviations from the previous year’s
information technology plan, and which details the plans for information
technology activities of state government for the following fiscal year as well
as the administration’s financing recommendations for these activities. All
such plans shall be reviewed and approved by the
chief information officer
commissioner of information and innovation prior to being included in
the governor’s annual budget request. The plan shall identify the proposed
sources of funds for each project identified. The plan shall include, for any
proposed new computer system or system upgrade with a cost in excess of
* * *
Sec. 3. 3 V.S.A. § 2283b is added to read:
§ 2283b. DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION AND INNOVATION
The department of information and innovation is created within the agency of administration and is charged with all of the responsibilities assigned to it by law.
Sec. 4. 3 V.S.A. § 2294 is added to read:
§ 2294. TECHNOLOGY ADVISORY BOARD
A technology advisory board is created within the department of information and innovation. The board shall consist of members who shall be appointed by the commissioner of information and innovation with the approval of the secretary of administration. The board shall include the commissioner, other representatives of state government, a representative of the University of Vermont, a representative of Vermont Interactive Television, a representative of Vermont Technical College, and not fewer than two members of the public. The board shall meet as directed by the commissioner and shall advise the commissioner concerning information technology products and services. The commissioner shall annually designate a chair of the board. Board members shall serve one‑year terms and may be reappointed without limitation.
Sec. 5. TITLE REDESIGNATION
Title 22 shall be redesignated:
AND, HISTORY, AND
Sec. 6. 22 V.S.A. chapter 15 is added to read:
Chapter 15. Department of Information and Innovation
§ 901. CREATION OF DEPARTMENT
There is created the department of information and innovation within the agency of administration. The department shall have all the responsibilities assigned to it by law, including the following:
(1) to provide direction and oversight for all activities directly related to information technology, including telecommunications services, information technology equipment, software, accessibility, and networks in state government;
(2) to manage an agencywide coordinated information technology budget;
(3) to manage GOVnet and K-12net;
(4) to review all information technology requests for proposal with a value of over $10,000.00;
(5) to review and approve computer systems or computer system upgrades with a cost in excess of $150,000.00, and annually submit to the general assembly a strategic plan for information technology as required of the secretary of administration by subdivision 2222(a)(9) of Title 3;
(6) to administer the independent review responsibilities of the secretary of administration described in subsection 2222(g) of Title 3;
(7) to perform the responsibilities of the secretary of administration under section 227b of Title 30;
(8) to administer communication, information, and technology services, which are transferred from the department of buildings and general services;
(9) to inventory technology assets within state government; and
(10) to coordinate information technology training within state government.
§ 902. APPOINTMENT OF COMMISSIONER; POWERS AND DUTIES
(a) The governor, with the advice and consent of the senate, shall appoint the commissioner of information and innovation who shall be the chief information officer of the state. The commissioner shall appoint a deputy commissioner who shall serve at the pleasure of the commissioner.
(b) The commissioner shall serve as the administrative head of the department of information and innovation.
Approved: May 21, 2003