SENATE PROPOSAL OF AMENDMENT
An act relating to development of a disaster relief, recovery and mitigation plan.
The Senate proposes to the House to amend the bill by striking out all after the enacting clause and inserting in lieu thereof the following:
Sec. 1. DISASTER RELIEF, RECOVERY AND MITIGATION PLAN;
DEVELOPMENT; EMERGENCY DIRECTOR
The executive branch, in consultation with the Vermont National Guard, the agency of natural resources, representatives from state groups that are involved in emergency planning and at least four local officials from municipalities that have handled a nationally declared emergency in the past three years, shall develop detailed recommendations for a state disaster relief, recovery and mitigation plan and report their recommendations in writing to the general assembly on or before February 1, 1999. The plan shall include consideration of the following:
(1) An appropriate chain of command for the assignment of management responsibilities that assures immediate, effective and efficient implementation of disaster relief services and funds.
(2) A process or procedure to motivate, encourage and help in the development of local emergency action plans. The process may provide for regional or municipal plans, as appropriate and planning incentives.
(3) Emergency requirements for state owned or state-financed buildings.
(4) Design and financing of alternative emergency communication systems and procedures.
(5) Sliding scale for municipality funding matches, including a clear policy on uses of in-kind matches, with eligibility criteria for funding related to the cost efficiency of a plan.
(6) Creation of a permanent source of funding that supplements existing state and federal funding for disaster damage to public infrastructure; private property, including dwellings, businesses and farms; lands and waters encompassed by the public trust doctrine; and loss of income.
(7) Guidelines for distributing funds that include clear eligibility requirements, funding priorities, a procedure that assures speedy and efficient delivery of funds to a region in which the Governor has declared an emergency that resulted from a disaster. The procedure shall include designation of a point person, such as the Secretary of Civil and Military Affairs, who has the authority to distribute emergency funds.
Sec. 2. EFFECTIVE DATE
This act shall take effect on passage.