Introduced by Representative Peaslee of Guildhall
Referred to Committee on
Subject: Motor vehicles; snowmobiles; nonresident snowmobilers; reciprocity
Statement of purpose: This bill proposes to simplify the process for nonresident snowmobilers to snowmobile in Vermont by eliminating the requirement for registration reciprocity.
AN ACT RELATING TO NONRESIDENT SNOWMOBILERS
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
Sec. 1. 23 V.S.A. § 3201(8) is added to read:
(8) "Public land" means all land that is either owned or controlled by a local, state or federal governmental body.
Sec. 2. 23 V.S.A. § 3202(a) and (f) are amended to read:
(a) A person shall not operate a snowmobile unless registered and numbered by the state of Vermont or other state or province *[
offering registration reciprocity]* and displays a valid Vermont trails maintenance assessment decal adjacent to the registration decal on the left side of the snowmobile in accordance with this chapter, except when operated:
(1) on the property of the owner of the snowmobile; or
(2) off the highway, in a ski area while being used for the purpose of packing snow or in rescue operations; or
(3) for official use by a federal, state or municipal agency and only if the snowmobile is identified with the name or seal of the agency in a manner approved by the commissioner; or
(4) solely on privately owned land when the operator has the written consent of the owner, or his or her agent, of the property.
(f) Reciprocity *[
required]*. The commissioner may grant registration reciprocity to snowmobiles registered in other states or provinces upon recommendation of the Governors Snowmobile Council and the Vermont Association of Snow Travelers, Inc.; or its successor. The granting of reciprocal areas of use as provided in this act is not contingent upon reciprocity being granted to Vermont registrants by *[ the]* other states and provinces *[ enumerated in subsections (e) and (g) of this section]*.
Sec. 3. EFFECTIVE DATE
This act shall take effect upon passage.